Vegan Konnyaku Steak
Vegan meals have become more popular and accessible these days. Going vegan doesn’t mean you have to forgo amazing flavours. This recipe by another Masterchef Season 2 contestant, Melissa (@callmemelissa__) is definitely one that packs a punch. The only way to be convinced is to pick up your cooking apron and try this out!
Noob cook difficulty level: ✅✅
300g Konnyaku Block
Just Salad Zesty Mustard
1 tbsp Oil
1-1.5 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Yuzu flavoured Soy Sauce or Ponzu Sauce
2 cloves Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse Konnyaku Block and Just Salad Zesty Mustard under running water.
- Using a knife, make light scoring marks on the surface of the Konnyaku slab, on both sides. This is to ensure that the Steak sauce will marinate the Konnyaku well enough as otherwise, it is quite impermeable.
- Cut the slab into cubes, approximately 3cm by 3cm.
- Throw the cubes into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes to get rid of any smell, then drain off the boiling water.
- In the meantime, slice Garlic clove lengthwise into thin slices and turn on pan on medium heat, pour Oil in and fry the Garlic cloves until they turn golden brown. Set fried Garlic chips aside.
- Next, fry the Konnyaku cubes on both sides, until nicely seared. Sprinkle with the sugar to ensure a further layer of caramelization on the “steak cubes”.
- Pour in the Yuzu Soy Sauce/ Ponzu Sauce, and once the sauce thickens, throw in the butter. Further season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Plate your Konnyaku Steak with a side of your favourite Just Produce salad. For the sauce remaining in the pan, toss it as a salad dressing with your greens or use Japanese sesame dressing to dress your salad.
*Best served with Japanese rice