You know the feeling you get when you’re itching to have something hearty that warms you up on a lazy Sunday morning. The Crunchy Lettuce Shakshuka Bites is here to answer that prayer. This simple recipe only takes our self-proclaimed noob cook about 25 minutes to prepare! We’re sure that you can definitely do it.
Noob cook difficulty level: ✅
1 tsp Olive Oil
70g Just Crunchy Lettuce
2 tbsp chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds, optional
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika, optional
1/2 a 15-oz can (about 1 cup) of diced Tomatoes with the liquid
Cilantro for serving, optional
Baguette for serving, optional
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small saucepan or frying pan (use your smallest-diameter pan with a lid). Add the onion and saute until beginning to brown. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, just 30-60 seconds.
- Stir in the spices if using, and then the harissa paste. Again, cook and stir until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 5-10 minutes until the flavours come together (but don't let it dry out! add a splash of water if needed). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in Just Crunchy Lettuce, stir and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Make a divot in the tomato sauce and gently pour the egg in. Cover and continue to cook over gentle heat. After a few minutes, open the lid and gently spoon a bit of the sauce over the white to help it cook faster.
- When the white is set and the yolk is as firm or soft as you like, remove from the heat. Carefully lift the egg out with a large spoon--you can put the whole thing off to the side if you want, and scrape out the sauce, then nestle the egg on top. Or just deposit the egg into a bowl and spoon the sauce around it.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with crusty bread for dipping.